Faculty Research Update: May 2017
A compilation of recent grant awards, accolades, presentations, journal publications and other notable news about Price School faculty and their research.
- Marlon G. Boarnet, Andy Hong, Raul Santiago-Bartolomei. (2017) “Urban Spatial Structure, Employment Subcenters, and Freight Travel.” Journal of Transport Geography, 60:267-276.
- Alan J Auerbach, Kerwin K. Charles, Courtney C. Coile, William Gale, Dana Goldman, Ronald Lee, Charles M. Lucas, Peter R. Orszag, Louise M. Sheiner, Bryan Tysinger, David N. Weil, Justin Wolfers, Rebeca Wong. (2017) How the Growing Gap in Life Expectancy May Affect Retirement Benefits and Reforms. National Bureau of Economic Research, w23329.
- Jung Hyun Choi, Gary Painter. (2017) Self-Reported vs. Market Estimated House Values: Are Homeowners Misinformed or Are They Purposely Misreporting? Real Estate Economics, 10.1111/1540-6229.12199.
- Adam Rose. (2017) Defining and Measuring Economic Resilience from a Societal, Environmental and Security Perspective. Springer.
- Adam Rose. (2017) “Resilience: State-of-the-Art and a Future Research Agenda,” in Regional Research Frontiers – Vol. 1, R. Jackson and P. Schaeffer (eds.). Springer.
- Kenneth D. Nguyen, Heather Rosoff, Richard S John (2017). Valuing Equal Protection in Aviation Security Screening. Risk Analysis.
- Jinshu Cui, Heather Rosoff, Richard S. John. (2017) A Polytomous Item Response Theory Model for Measuring Near-Miss Appraisal as a Psychological Trait. Decision Analysis.
- Cui, J., Rosoff, H., and John, R.S. (Accepted, 01/2017). Development of the Near Miss Appraisal Scale (NMAS) Using a Polynomous Item Response Theory Model. Decision Analysis.
- Julie A. Marsh, Susan Bush-Mecenas, Katharine O. Strunk, Jane Arnold Lincove, Alice Huguet. (2017) Evaluating Teachers in the Big Easy: How Organizational Context Shapes Policy Responses in New Orleans. Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis: 0162373717698221
- Hilda Blanco received an award from the Ford Foundation for US-Cuba Renewable Energy Study Group Phase 2.
- Genevieve Giuliano received an award for her US Davis NCST Caltrans task order 036” “Framework for Developing Economic Competitiveness Measures for the California Sustainable Freight Action Plan.”
- Genevieve Giuliano received new awards for the following Caltrans task orders:
- A Cost Allocation Model for Horizontal Supply Chains
- Trajectory Data Mining for Performance Measurement of Public Transportation Systems.
- Evaluating Economic Mobility and Resilience of Multimodal Freight Operations in a Connected Vehicle Environment.
- Sustainable Affordable Housing Near Rail Transit: Refining and Expanding a Scenario Planning Tool.
- Fine-grained “Automatic Vehicle Classification” System Development for Accurately Measuring Passenger-freight Interactions.
- Dana Goldman received an award from the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority for the USC Homeless Count.
- Dana Goldman received an award from UCLA for the project “Vascular Dialysis Access in the Elderly.”
- Dana Goldman received an award from the Mental Health Services Oversight and Accountability Commission for “Mental Health Issues Facing the Other California.”
- Mike Nichol received an award for the Gerontology project “Planning a family-focused approach to prevent elder mistreatment.”
- Adam Rose and Jonathan Eyer received a grant from the Japan Foundation for the study “A Comprehensive Framework for Assessing and Responding to Disaster-Related Migration.”
- Adam Rose and Heather Rosoff received a contract for a second year of study on “Measurement of Economic and Business Resilience to Disasters.”
- Jorge de la Roca was invited as a visiting scholar at the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia (April 20-21)
- Jorge de la Roca was invited to present his work at the Applied Economics Seminar at Michigan State University on March 31st.
- Dana Goldman served as the keynote speak for Western University of Health Sciences’ Ray Symposium on April 2017. His topic was “Re-thinking Value in an Era of Health Reform.”
- Darius Lakdawalla presented a keynote on value-based pharmaceutical pricing at the American Journal of Managed Care’s ACO Coalition’s meeting in Scottsdale, Arizona on May 5th.
- Neeraj Sood presented “Improving Access to Hepatitis C Cure” at the Summit for the Elimination of Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C as Public Health Threats in the United States, on April 27, 2017 in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Julie Zissimopoulos presented “The Burden of Alzheimer’s Disease for Families and Society from 2010-2015” at the Alzheimer’s Disease Diversity and Disparities in Family Caregiving: Progress and Future Challenges in Davis, California on May 3rd.
- Julie Zissimopoulos presented “The Impact of Changes in Population Health and Demographics on Future Prevalence of AD and Other Dementias in the United States” at the annual meeting of the TRENDS Network in Bethesda, Maryland on May 5th.
- Adam Rose was appointed a Fellow of the Risk Institute of the Fisher College of Business, Ohio State University.