Certificate in Public Policy
This program provides students with a foundation in public policy analysis. It is designed to provide expertise in public policy to individuals who do not want to pursue the Master of Public Policy degree. Potential students include graduate students who are pursing another degree and want to complement that work with a specialization in public policy, and qualified students holding a bachelor’s degree who have not matriculated at USC, but want to acquire these skills. The certificate develops policy analytic skills, and exposure to a policy issue area of interest to the student. These skills allow the student to integrate the analytic methods with the institutional context of a specific policy arena.
Core Courses (8 units)
- PPD 500 – Intersectoral Leadership
- PPD 554 – Introduction to Policy Analysis
- PPD 555 – Public Policy Formulation and Implementation
Choose 4 units from:
- PPD 501ab – Economics for Policy, Planning and Development
- PPD 557 – Modeling and Operations Research
- PPD 558 – Statistical Analysis
- PPD 560 – Methods for Policy Analysis
Choose 1 course from a policy issue area (4 units).
There are many policy issues courses from which to choose (e.g., Nonprofits, Health, Transportation, Environment, Housing).
Admission Requirements and Application Procedures
Current USC Graduate Students — Applicants for the Certificate in Public Policy who are currently enrolled in a graduate program at USC and are in good standing with a 3.0 GPA only need to submit the appropriate paperwork for adding the certificate program, which may be obtained from the student services advisor in RGL 102.
Prospective Applicants — Applicants for the Certificate in Public Policy who have not matriculated at USC must make a formal application at the USC Graduate Admissions website: http://www.usc.edu/admission/graduate/
Applicants must submit the following items:
- official transcripts from ALL institutions attended directly to our office listed below:
Office of Recruitment and Admissions
650 Child’s Way – RGL 111
Los Angeles, CA 90089
- Resume (upload via online application)
- A Letter of Recommendation (uploaded via online application)
Spring 2014 – November 1, 2013
Summer 2014 – April 1, 2014
Fall 2014 deadline – July 1, 2014
Please contact the USC Price Office of Admissions at email@example.com for more information.