The residency component was a determining factor. Experiencing different departments in a hospital and working on projects that affect patients really set the USC Price program apart from all others.
Past President, USC Student Health Council
All MHA students participate in the Residency Program, which puts classroom theory into practice and ensures that skills are sufficient to secure employment after graduation. Many graduates report that this distinctive program is among the most beneficial aspects of their Price MHA experience.
Working under the direction of a senior-level manager, students will:
- Gain understanding of the global healthcare industry, its varied sectors, and the manner in which they affect each other.
- Explore organizational structure, technology, personnel and tasks employed in the delivery of healthcare services as they apply to the sponsoring organization.
- Integrate administrative and academic theories by applying and relating them to key operational issues.
- Enhance administrative and managerial skills under the direction of a knowledgeable preceptor in an environment that promotes learning.
- Develop a practical understanding of the dynamics of the health administration work environment.
The Residency Program offers two options for MHA students:
- Students without professional experience in health administration take the Leadership Track Residency, which consists of 1,000 hours of work under a senior manager at a healthcare facility.
- Students with professional experience in health administration can negotiate for a Career Enhancement 500-hour residency that emphasizes specific projects and specialized activities.
Examples of organizations at which USC Price MHA students have completed their residency:
- Anaheim Memorial Hospital
- The Camden Group
- Cap Gemini Ernst & Young
- Century City Hospital
- Children’s Hospital and Children’s Hospital Foundation, Los Angeles
- Cedars Sinai Health System
- Facey Medical Group
- Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
- HealthCare Partners, Ltd.
- Hoag Memorial Hospital
- Kaiser Permanente
- Martin Luther King Jr./ Drew Medical Center
- LA Care Health Plan
- LA County Department of Health Services
- Little Company of Mary Health Services
- Long Beach Memorial Medical Center
- Medtronic MiniMed, Inc.
- William M. Mercer
- Providence Health System
- RAND Corporation
- Riverside Community Hospital
- Scripps Health System
- Tenet California Health Systems
- Universal Care
- USC University Hospital
- USC/Norris Cancer Hospital
- VA Greater Los Angeles Health System
- West Hills Hospital & Medical Center