MPA Program Learning Objectives
The USC Price MPA program mission is to educate professionals to assume leadership positions in public service and to improve the state of the art in the governance and management of public and nonprofit organizations.
To accomplish this mission, USC Price commits to the following learning objectives:
- Prepare students with skills and knowledge for effectively leading and managing organizations that ultimately serve the global public good.
- Maintain an applied and professionally oriented curriculum.
- Develop advanced professional practices and analytical skills in our students through classroom instruction and experiential learning activities.
- Prepare students to work fluidly across the public, nonprofit, and business sectors.
- Create new research that advances knowledge in the governance and management of public and nonprofit organizations.
The MPA mission is underscored by the broader mission of the USC Sol Price School of Public Policy: “Improve quality of life for people and their communities, here and abroad.”
The Price School MPA program is guided by two key social responsibilities:
- Serve the public good, advance democracy, and improve social justice through research, scholarship, and service.
- Prepare competent administrators of integrity who engage and improve diverse communities.
Related to its mission, the MPA program has adopted a set of required competencies (cultivated through relevant required courses) spanning five domains:
- Leadership applied to management in public governance;
- PPD 500, PPD 540, PPD 541, PPD 542, PPD 543, PPD 545, PPD 546
- Contributing to the public policy process;
- PPD 500, PPD 501ab, PPD 540, PPD 541, PPD 542, PPD 543, PPD 545, PPD 546
- Analysis, synthesis, problem solving, and decision-making;
- PPD 501ab, PPD 540, PPD 541, PPD 542, PPD 545, PPD 546
- Articulation and application of public service perspective;
- PPD 500, PPD 501ab, PPD 540, PPD 545, PPD 546
- Communication and productive interaction with a diverse workforce and global citizenry.
- PPD 500, PPD 540, PPD 542, PPD 543, PPD 545, PPD 546