Student Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE)
SURE provides USC Price students a tremendous opportunity to conduct funded research in collaboration with a Price faculty member. This research can be completed in a domestic or international environment throughout the year.
EXAMPLES OF ELIGIBLE RESEARCH PROJECTS
- Assisting a Price faculty member with research on or off campus
- Group research projects under the supervision of a Price faculty member
- Internships at a consulting or research firm that include independent research supervised by a Price faculty member
- International programs in which the student completes a research project under the supervision of a Price faculty member
- A declared major in the Price School of Public Policy
- At least a 3.0 cumulative USC and major GPA
- Signed agreement with a Price full-time faculty sponsor
- Enrolled at USC as a Price major in the term prior to one in which the research project will be conducted. Summer research does not require enrollment in that term, but does require the student be enrolled as a Price School major during the spring semester.
- The maximum amount of the award is $2000 (students may receive less depending on costs associated with the research and if other funding was granted). Students should be realistic in their request for funding.
- The award must be used only to cover costs of the research. These costs may include travel, equipment, living expenses and other fees associated with the research.
- A specific and detailed budget must be submitted with the application for funding.
- The award will be provided as a single payment to the student’s university account. Please note: this award must be listed on the student’s financial aid application, and may affect financial aid awards. Please contact the Financial Aid office for more information.
- All funds will be disbursed in accordance with customary policies and procedures of the University.
- If the student fails to complete the project successfully or fails to meet research obligations as part of a faculty project, and the student’s faculty sponsor denies final approval, the funds will be withdrawn from the student’s account.
STEPS TO APPLY FOR S.U.R.E. FUNDING
- Consult a Price faculty sponsor. If you are unsure about the faculty member’s eligibility, contact the undergraduate programs office in RGL 102.
- Print, complete, and have your faculty sponsor sign the application form.
- Submit a one-page description of the research plan you have developed in collaboration with your faculty sponsor.
- Prepare a budget associated with your research.
- Submit a letter of agreement in support of your application from your faculty sponsor. Faculty members who submit these letters are encouraged to note why the student should receive funding. These awards are always competitive.
- Submit a current STARS report.
Submit your application (include all the documents listed above) in person to RGL 102 or via email to Jim Lee at email@example.com.
Applications are considered on an individual basis. The selection committee makes all final decisions on selection and funding.
To request an application, please email Jim Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org
More information about the SURE program is available on the Frequently Asked Questions page.
APPLICATION DUE DATES:
- Fall research – if you would like to complete your research project during the fall term, the application deadline is September 3. Students will be notified by September 12.
- Spring research – if you would like to complete your research project during the spring term, the application deadline is October 3. Students will be notified by November 1.
- Summer research – if you would like to complete your research project during the summer term, the application deadline is February 3. Students will be notified by April 1.
NO APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER THE DUE DATE.