Student Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE)
SURE provides Price students an opportunity to conduct research in collaboration with a Price faculty member. This research can be completed in a domestic or international environment throughout the year.
EXAMPLES OF ELIGIBLE RESEARCH PROJECTS
- Assisting a Price faculty member with research on or off campus
- Group research projects under the supervision of a Price faculty member
- Internships at a consulting or research firm that include independent research supervised by a Price faculty member
- International programs where the student completes a research project under the supervision of a Price faculty member
- A declared major in Price School of Public Policy
- At least a 3.0 cumulative USC and major GPA
- Signed agreement with a Price fulltime faculty member sponsor
- Enrolled at USC as a Price major in the term prior to one that the research project will be conducted. Summer research does not require enrollment in that term, but does require the student be enrolled as a Price School major during the spring semester.
- The maximum amount of the award is $2000 (students may receive less depending on the costs associated with the research and if other funding was granted). Students should be realistic in their request for funding. Students may receive less funding than they request.
- The award is to cover costs of the research. These costs may include travel, equipment, living expenses and other fees associated with the research.
- A specific and detailed budget must be submitted with the application for funding.
- The award will be provided as a single payment to the student’s university account. Please note: this award must be listed on the student’s financial aid application, and may affect financial aid awards. Please contact the Financial Aid office for more information.
- All funds will be disbursed in accordance with customary policies and procedures of the University.
- If the student fails to complete the project successfully or fails to meet research obligations as part of a faculty project, and the student’s faculty sponsor denies final approval, the funds will be withdrawn from the student’s account.
STEPS TO APPLY FOR SURE FUNDING
- Choose a Price faculty sponsor. If you are unsure about the faculty member’s eligibility, contact the undergraduate programs office in RGL 102.
- Print, complete and have your faculty sponsor sign the application form.
- Submit a one-page description of the research plan that you have developed in collaboration with your faculty sponsor.
- Prepare a budget associated with your research.
- Submit a letter of agreement in support of your application from your faculty sponsor. Faculty members who submit these letters are encouraged to note why this student should receive funding. We anticipate that these awards will be competitive.
- Submit a current STARS report.
Submit your application (include all the documents listed above) in person to RGL 102 or via email to Nancy Qunitanilla at email@example.com.
Applications are considered on an individual basis. The selection committee makes all final decisions on selection and funding.
APPLICATION DUE DATES:
- Fall research – if you would like to complete your research project during the fall term, the application deadline is May 15. Students will be notified by June 1.
- Spring research – if you would like to complete your research project during the spring term, the application deadline is October 15. Students will be notified by December 1.
- Summer research – if you would like to complete your research project during the summer term, the application deadline is March 23. Students will be notified by April 15.
NO APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER THE DUE DATE.