How to Request Transfer Credit
The following describes the processes graduate and undergraduate students should use when requesting transfer credit. Please note that transfer credit is not automatic and students should confer with their student services advisor before attempting work at another institution.
The process for requesting transfer credit follows these steps:
- Students submit an official transcript to their appropriate Student Services Advisor from the other institution which shows courses and grades received in those courses.
- Students submit a USC Price Master’s Petition (PDF) (for master’s students), or a USC Price Doctoral Petition (PDF) (for doctoral students) to their appropriate Student Services Advisor requesting that transfer work from the other institution be applied to their degree.
- The Student Services Advisor will request a Transfer Credit Evaluation.
- Degree Progress will send the Student Services Advisor and the student a report indicating which courses are eligible to be transferred into USC. This report does not indicate that these courses will be transferred to USC and applied to the degree. That decision is up to the degree director.
- The Student Services Advisor will forward the student’s petition and Credit Evaluation to the appropriate degree director for approval.
- The student is informed in writing by the Student Services Advisor of the outcome of the decision.
Students wishing to take summer coursework elsewhere after admission to USC must first obtain appropriate written pre–approval from the Degree Progress Department. Even if there is an articulation agreement, pre–approval is necessary to assure the student’s eligibility. On-line instructions are available at: http://www.usc.edu/dept/ARR/transferringcoursework/.
Once the coursework has been completed elsewhere, students must request the other institution to send an official transcript to USC so that the coursework can be evaluated and transferred.
Students should request that a transcript be sent to the:
Degree Progress Department
Student Administrative Services 010
700 Child’s Way
Los Angeles, CA 90089–0912
All transcripts must arrive in a sealed envelope from the issuing institution. After allowing four weeks for delivery, the student should take the written pre–approval to the Degree Progress Department (SAS 010). If the transcript has arrived, it will be matched with the pre-approval and the transfer evaluation will be complete.
For additional information, please go to the Course Work Taken Elsewhere page in the USC Catalogue.