Faculty Research Update: April 2018
A compilation of recent grant awards, accolades, presentations, journal publications and other notable news about Price School faculty and their research.
- Alice Chen, Anthony T. Lo Sasso, Michael R. Richards (2018). “Supply‐side effects from public insurance expansions: Evidence from physician labor markets” Health Economics, Volume 27, Issue 4, DOI:10.1002/hec.3625
- Alice Chen, Dana Goldman (2018). “Productivity Benefits of Medical Care: Evidence from US-Based Randomized Clinical Trials” Value in Health DOI: 10.1016/j.jval.2018.01.009
- Hue-Tam Webb Jamme, Deepak Bahl, Tridib Banerjee (2018). “Between “broken windows” and the “eyes on the street:” Walking to school in inner city San Diego” Journal of Environmental Psychology, Volume 55
- Karen Van Nuys, Brian Tysinger, M.A. Hlatky, Dana Goldman (2018). “Innovation in Heart Failure Treatment: Life Expectancy, Disability, and Health Disparities” JACC: Heart Failure DOI: 10.1016/j.jchf.2017.12.006
- Armando Franco, Dana Goldman, Adam Leive, and Daniel McFadden (2018). “A Cautionary Tale in Comparative Effectiveness Research: Pitfalls and Perils of Observational Data Analysis” book chapter in Measuring and Modeling Health Care Costs, The University of Chicago Press. ISBN: 9780226530994
- Anupam Jena, Andrew Olenski, Daniel Blumenthal, Robert Yeh, Dana Goldman, John Romley (2018). “Acute Myocardial Infarction Mortality During Dates of National Interventional Cardiology Meetings” Journal of the American Heart Association DOI: 10.1161/JAHA.117.008230
- Kevin Albertson, Chris Fox, Chris O’Leary, Gary Painter, Kimberly Baily, Jessica LaBarbera (2018). “Payment by results and social impact bonds: Outcome-based payment systems in the UK and US” Policy Press. ISBN: 978-1447340706
- Martin Krieger (2018). “Don’t Just Begin with ‘Let A be an algebra…’” Notices of the AMS.
- Adam Rose, Dan Wei, Donald Paul (2018). “Economic consequences of and resilience to a disruption of petroleum trade: The role of seaports in U.S. energy security” Energy Policy, Volume 115, DOI: 10.1016/j.enpol.2017.12.052
- Scott Farrow, Adam Rose (2018). “Welfare Analysis: Bridging the Partial and General Equilibrium Divide for Policy Analysis” Journal of Benefit-Cost Analysis, DOI:10.1017/bca.2017.29
- Neeraj Sood, Zachary Wagner (2018). “Social health insurance for the poor: lessons from a health insurance programme in Karnataka, India” BMJ Global Health DOI: 10.1136/bmjgh-2017-000582
- Nicolas Duquette received a Fellowship from the John Randolph and Dora Haynes Foundation for “Effects of the War on Poverty on Mobility and Neighborhood Stability”
- Roberto Suro received an award from the California Community Foundation for “News Coverage of Immigrant Communities in Los Angeles: Innovating new pathways to trust and engageme”
- Genevieve Giuliano received an award from Los Angeles County-Metropolitan Transportation Authority for the project “Microtransit Pilot Project”
- Erin Trish received an award from Johns Hopkins University for “Quantifying the Inefficiency of the Tax Exclusion for Employment-Based Health Insurance”
- Jonathan Eyer and Adam Rose “Electricity Reliability and Resilience: Microeconomic Analysis of Tradeoffs,” white paper presented at the Lawrence Berkley National Laboratory (LBNL)/DOE Workshop on The Economics of Long Duration, Widespread Power Interruptions, Washington, DC, March 3, 2018
- Ian Sue Wing and Adam Rose “Economic Consequence Analysis of Electric Power Infrastructure Disruptions: An Analytical General Equilibrium Approach,” white paper presented at the Lawrence Berkley National Laboratory (LBNL)/DOE Workshop on The Economics of Long Duration, Widespread Power Interruptions, Washington, DC, March 3, 2018
- Erroll Southers delivered lectures on counterterrorism, homegrown violent extremism, aviation security and emerging threats at Ocean University in Qingdao, China.
- Bonnie Reiss, the global director of the Schwarzenegger Institute dies at 62.
- William Resh has been promoted to the rank of Associate Professor of Public Policy with tenure.
- Sol Price School of Public Policy is now ranked 2nd in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
- Sol Price School of Public Policy hosted a Conversation with California’s Gubernatorial Candidates, March 2018.
- Jeffrey Jenkins convened ‘Parties & Partisanship in the Age of Trump’ symposium which gathered scholars nationwide at USC Bedrosian Center
- Legislation developed with help from Secure Schools Alliance Research and Education (SSARE), of which Erroll Southers is a board member, entitled the STOP School Violence Act of 2018 was introduced by Senator Orrin Hatch
- Victoria Deguzman was recognized for her accomplishments in the story entitled, “When the Student Is Ready, Victoria Deguzman Has Already Pioneered…” by WTS International