Faculty Research Update: February 2017
A compilation of recent grant awards, accolades, presentations, journal publications and other notable news about Price School faculty and their research.
- Jorge De la Roca and Diego Puga. (2017) “Learning by working in big cities.” Review of Economic Studies 84(1): 106-142.
- Dana P Goldman, Darius N Lakdawalla, James R Baumgardner, Mark T Linthicum. (2016) “Are Biopharmaceutical Budget Caps Good Public Policy?” The Economists’ Voice, 13(1):27-42.
- Karen Woo, Laura Gascue, Dana P Goldman, John A Romley. (2016) “Variations in outcomes of hemodialysis vascular access by race/ethnicity in the elderly.” Journal of Vascular Surgery, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jvs.2016.09.054.
- Jeffrey Sullivan, Alison Sexton Ward, Beata Korytowsky, Desi Peneva, Jennifer Benner, Darius Lakdawalla, Bjorn Bolinder, Robert Figlin, Anupam Jena. (2017) “Demonstrating Life Expectancy Gains with Immuno-Oncology (IO) Therapies.” Journal of Thoracic Oncology, 12(1): S426.
- Joanna MacEwan, Jason Doctor, Suepattra May, Patrick Bonnet, Ningqi Hou, Mahlet Tebeka, Darius Lakdawalla. (2016) “Patient Preferences for Glioblastoma Multiforme: A Discrete Choice Experiemnt.” Neuro-Oncology, 18(6): vi157.
- Darius Lakdawalla, Anup Malani, Julian Reif. (2017) “The insurance value of medical innovation.” Journal of Public Economics, 145:94-102.
- Jennifer M. Miller. (2016) “International inter-sectional collaboration in university research centres: innovation systems in the United States and beyond in comparative perspective.” Asia Pacific Journal of Public Administration, 38(4): 239-250.
- Katalin Bognar, John A Romley, Jay P Bae, James Murray, Jacquelyn W Chou, Darius N Lakdawalla. (2016) “The Role of Imperfect Surrogate Endpoint Information in Drug Approval and Reimbursement Decisions.” Journal of Health Economics.
- Adam Rose. (2017) “Private Sector Co-Benefits of Disaster Risk Management,” in E. Surminski and T. Tanner (eds.), Realising the Triple Resilience Dividend: A New Business Case for Disaster Risk Management, Heidelberg: Springer.
- Adam Rose, Misak Avetisyan, Heather Rosoff, William J. Burns, Paul Slovic, Oswin Chan. (2016) “The Role of Behavioral Responses in the Total Economic Consequences of Terrorist Attacks on U.S. Air Travel Targets.” Risk Analysis (early view)
- Zhenhua Chen, Adam Rose, Fynnwin Prager, Samrat Chatterjee. 2017. “Economic Consequences of Aviation System Disruptions: A Reduced-Form Computable General Equilibrium Analysis.” Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 95 (January): 207–226.
- Kenneth Nguyen, Heather Rosoff, Richard John. (2017) “Assessing US Travelers’ Trade-offs for Aviation Safety Objectives: A Natural Experiment.” Proceedings of the 50th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences.
- Geertje Schuitema, Nicole D Sintov. (2017) “Should we quit our jobs? Challenges, barriers and recommendations for interdisciplinary energy research.” Energy Policy, 101: 246-250.
- David Sloane. (2017) “Japser Rubin, A Negotiated Landscape: The Transformation of San Francisco’s Waterfront Since 1950.” Journal of Planning and Education Research.
- Peter J Huckfeldt, José J Escarce, Brendan Rabideau, Pinar Karaca-Mandic, Neeraj Sood. (2017) “Less Intense Postacute Care, Better Outcomes for Enrollees in Medicare Advantage Than Those in Fee-For-Service.” Health Affairs, 36(1): 91-100.
- Neeraj Sood, Abby Alpert, Kayleigh Barnes, Peter Huckfeldt, José J. Escarce. (2017) “Effects of Payment Reform in More versus Less Competitive Markets.” Journal of Health Economics, 51: 66-83.
- Hui Li, Carlos Wing-Hung Lo, Shui Yan Tang, (2017) “Nonprofit Policy Advocacy under Authoritarianism.” Public Administration Review, 77(1): 103-117.
- Michael Thom. (2017) “I Can’t Believe I Haven’t Been Asked This Question Before: Bringing ‘Why Government?’ and ‘Which Government?” to the Classroom.” Journal of Public Affairs Education, 23(1): 563-570.
- Dan Wei and Adam Rose. “Evaluating Modeling Approaches for Analyzing Macroeconomic Impacts of Microgrid Projects,” Journal of Sustainable Energy Engineering 4(2): 127-181.
- Dan Wei, Alejandro Brugués, Adam Rose, Carlos de la Parra, Rigoberto Garcia, Federico Martinez. (2017) “Climate Change Policy and the Economy in Baja California: Assessment of Macroeconomic Impacts of the State’s Climate Action Plan,” Ecological Economics 131: 373–388.
- Julie Zissimopoulos, Doug Barthold, Roberta Diaz Brinton, Geoffrey Joyce. (2016) “Sex and Race Differences in the Association of Statin Use and Incidence of Alzheimer’s Disease. JAMA Neurology. Published online December 12, 2016. doi:10.1001/jamaneurol.2016.3783.
- Julie Zissimopoulos, Barbara Blaylock, Dana P Goldman, John W Rowe. (2017) “Raising the Social Security Entitlement Age: Implicati3ons for the Productive Activities of Older Adults.” Research on Aging, 39(1): 166-189.
- Hilda Blanco was awarded a $75,000 grant from the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation for US-Cuba Renewable Energy Study Group.
- Bonnie Reiss and the Schwarzenegger Institute received a $110,000 grant from the Mott Foundation to support the National Afterschool Summit that will take place on April 5, 2017 at USC.
- Gen Giuliano received an award from the California Department of Transportation for her UTC project “Evaluation Freight Efficiency Metrics.”
- Gen Giuliano received an award Majestic Realty for a Drayage Study.
- Gary Painter was awarded a grant from the Morongo Basin Healthcare District for his Morongo Valley: Proposal for Community Health Needs Assessment.
- Gary Painter was awarded a grant from the LA Mayor’s Fund for his proposal Youth Employment Need and Opportunities in LA.
- Gen Giuliano was awarded a grant from the US Department of Transportation for the METRANS University Transportation Study.
- Jim Ferris and the Center on Philanthropy and Public Policy’s 2017 Equity Conference, Roundtable and Fellows Planning Grant will be sponsored by the Weingart Foundation.
- Emma Aguila had two presentations and a poster at the American Economic Association’s Annual Meeting in Chicago, Massachusetts in January.
- Emma Aguila presented at the Gerontological Society of America’s Annual Scientific Meeting in New Orleans, Louisiana in November.
- Marlon Boarnet (Xize Wang) presented “Urban Spatial Structure and the Potential for Vehicle Miles Travelled” at the Transportation Research Board’s annual meeting in January.
- Bedrosian Faculty Affiliates, Christian Grose and Abby Wood presented their research “Transparency and the Federal Election Commission”
- Bedrosian Faculty Affiliate, Pamela Clouser McCann presented her research “Policy Compromise: House-Senate Negotiation.”
- Bedrosian Faculty Affiliate, Jody Armour was the featured speaker in the Office of Religious Life at USC’s signature series What Matters to Me and Why.
- Adam Rose made a plenary presentation on “Economic Consequence Analysis of Maritime Cyber Threats” at the Maritime Risk Symposium, held at the University of North Carolina on November 14, 2016.
- Adam Rose made a presentation on “Economic Consequence Analysis of Maritime Cyber Threats: A Progress Report” at the Maritime Cyber Security USCG/University Research Initiative held at the University of North Carolina on November 16, 2016.
- Adam Rose had his remarks presented by a co-author (Ryan Colker, advisor to the President of the National Institute of Building Sciences) at the White House Roundtable on the Business Case for Climate Resilience, held in the Executive Office Building, Washington, DC, November 28, 2016.
- Adam Rose presented the paper “Reduced-Form Modeling of Maritime Cyber Threats,” (with Z. Chen and D. Wei) at the Society for Risk Analysis Meetings, December 13, 2016.
- Erroll Southers was a keynote speaker at the Municipal Management Association of Southern California (MMASC) Annual Conference in Ojai, California. His talk was on Countering Violent Extremism.
- Dan Wei presented “Economic Consequences of a Silicon Valley Earthquake,” at the Society for Risk Analysis 2016 Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, December 11-15, 2016. (Co-authored with Ian Sue Wing, Adam Rose, and Anne Wein)
- Dan Wei presented “Evaluating the Role of Resilience in Recovering from Major Port Disruptions,” at Transportation Research Board 96th Annual Meeting, Washington DC, January 8-12, 2017. (Co-authored with Zhenhua Chen and Adam Rose)
- Detlof von Winterfeldt co-authored a presentation at the INFORMS 2016 Annual Meeting (with Johannes Siebert, Richard John, Gregory Keeney and Heather Rosoff) that was a finalist in the Practice Award competition. The presentation was given by Richard John.
- Detlof von Winterfeldt and Heather Rosoff co-authored (along with D. Seibert, J., John, R.S., Keeney, G.)the Decision Analysis Society-sponsored presentation “Identifying and structuring the objectives of terrorists” at the annual meeting for the Institute for Operations Research and Management Science, (INFORMS), Nashville, November 13-16, 2016.
- Bedrosian Chair Raphael Bostic was elected as Vice President of the policy council at APPAM.
- Adam Rose was elected President of the International Society for Integrated Disaster Risk Management (IDRiM).
- Adam Rose was invited to serve on the Editorial Board of the new journal Economics of Natural Disasters and Climate Change.
- Adam Rose was appointed to the Oversight Committee of the National Institute of Building Sciences Multi-hazard Mitigation Council Mitigation Saves 2 Study (on the benefits of hazard mitigation projects).
- Detlof von Winterfeldt gave a recorded video presentation honoring Howard Raiffa’s years at the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) during the INFORMS 2016 Annual Meeting in Nashville (November 13-16, 2016).
- Detlof von Winterfeldt and Richard John attended a two day kick off meeting (Nov 16-17) for their new Customs and Border Protection sponsored project “Strategic Resource Assessment for Land Ports of Entry.”