Master of Planning/Dollinger Master of Real Estate Development
The USC Price MPL/Dollinger MRED dual degree program enables students to gain expertise in turning space into place. Skills in planning, land development, market analysis, finance and economics are built into a challenging program of theory and practice. Exposure to both the planning and real estate fields proves an educational as well as a professional asset for those pursuing careers in either. This dual degree program normally requires five semesters — including one summer — in residence.
Students must complete 74 units for this dual degree, all from within the USC Price School.
- Intersectoral Leadership (PPD 500) – 2 units
- Economics for Policy, Planning and Development (PPD 501a) – 2 units
- Planning Theory (PPD 524) – 2 units
- Statistics and Arguing from Data (PPD 525) – 2 units
- Comparative International Development (PPD 526) – 2 units
- The Social Context of Planning (PPD 527) – 2 units
- Core Laboratory Workshop (PPD 531L) – 4 units
- Planning History and Urban Form (PPD 533) – 2 units
Real Estate Core
- Market Analysis for Real Estate (RED 509) – 4 units
- Finance of Real Estate Development (RED 542) – 3 units
- Real Estate Capital Markets (RED 544) – 2 units
- Applications of Real Estate Finance To Problems of Development (RED 546) – 3 units
- Project Management and Construction (RED 547) – 2 units
- The Approval Process (RED 551) – 4 units
- Legal Issues in Real Estate Development (RED 562) – 4 units
- Design History and Criticism (RED 573) – 2 units
- Building Typologies (RED 574) – 2 units
- Community Design and Site Planning (RED 575L) – 4 units
- Real Estate Product Development (RED 598) – 2 units
Students must complete 12 units of PPD courses, as well as an additional 12 units of USC Price electives.
Students are also required to complete a comprehensive examination: either the MPL or Dollinger MRED examination is acceptable.
The internship requirement is waived for students who enter the program with professional experience in either planning, real estate or a related field.