An applicant’s potential for distinguished academic and professional achievement is the principal criterion for admission to the Master of Public Administration program. In assessing applications, the admission committee evaluates:
- past performance as evidenced by grades, work experience, and community service
- future promise as indicated by performance on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT), and letters of recommendation
- commitment to educational and career goals, as demonstrated particularly in the writing sample
Most successful applicants will have attained at least a 3.0 undergraduate GPA and an above average score on the GRE or GMAT. Individuals with 5+ years of professional experience and an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or above may request to waive the GRE/ GMAT requirement, with the exception of those applying for scholarships. To be considered for this waiver or to determine whether specific professional experience meets the “5+ years” threshold, applicants should contact the Office of Recruitment and Admission before applying to the MPA.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. First-year students may be admitted to the fall semester. And, those applying to the fall semester are encouraged to submit applications prior to December 15 in order to be considered for the best scholarships. Since the admission review process does not include an interview, submitted materials should clearly present an applicant’s qualifications.
Required to complete the application process:
(NOTE: For your convenience, please save and use the Application Checklist)
- A USC Graduate Application — For step-by-step admission guidelines, visit: gradadm.usc.edu/apply
- $90 application fee
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (To expedite the processing of your application, please send all transcripts directly to our office.) **
- USC has started to accept some forms of e-transcripts. Please check with your prior institution to determine whether they provide e-transcripts.
Note that we accept only e-transcripts provided that they are submitted via the following methods:
- eSCRIP SAFE (Grad)
- eTranscriptCA (CCC)
- Texas Server (Grad)
- University to University
If your school does not provide e-transcripts via one of these methods, you must submit a hard copy of your transcripts. **
Individuals with 5+ years of professional experience may be waived from taking the GRE and GMAT, with the exception of those applying for scholarships. Applicants who wish to be considered for this waiver or who have questions on what qualifies as “5+ years of professional experience,” should contact the Office of Recruitment and Admission before applying to the MPA program.
- Why are you interested in pursuing the Master of Public Administration degree?
- How will a Master of Public Administration degree affect or enhance your career aspirations and goals?
- Official TOEFL/IELTS scores – Official scores must be received directly from the testing service and date no earlier than 2 years (24 months) prior to the start of your intended first term at USC. (Institution code: 4852)
- Official transcripts indicating the award of all degrees with the title and date conferred in the applicant’s native language and an exact translation into English of each document
- Financial guarantee statement showing proof of ability to pay all tuition and living expenses
To verify application requirements by country, please visit: http://gradadm.usc.edu/faqs/international-students-faqs/preparing-to-apply/
December 15 (scholarship deadline)
May 1 (international applicant final deadline)
July 1 (domestic applicant final deadline)
How to Apply
Candidates apply online through the USC graduate admissions online system. The online system allows you to submit the entire MPA application electronically with the exception of official transcripts and a copy of test scores, which should be sent directly to USC Price at the following mailing address:
USC Price Recruitment and Admissions
650 Childs Way, RGL 111
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0626
Tel: (213) 740-0550
Fax: (213) 740-7573