Urban planning is about anticipating the future. It is about social equity and environmental justice, community livability, and sustainable development. It aims to improve the community environment and the quality of life in urban places and urbanizing societies.
Professor Tridib Banerjee
The USC Price School welcomes applications for the Master of Planning degree from students all over the country and around the world. Applicants for admission must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited educational institution. In recognition of the increasing diversity of capabilities required in the practice of planning and development, students from a variety of undergraduate and graduate backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
In general, successful applicants will have attained at least a 3.0 undergraduate grade point average (GPA) and an above average score on the GRE or GMAT.
Students may be admitted to the fall and spring semesters. However, students applying to the fall semester are encouraged to submit applications prior to December 15 in order to be considered for the best scholarships. Since the admission review process does not include an interview, submitted materials should present student qualifications clearly and completely.
- Application Materials
- International Application Materials
- Application Deadlines
- Application Submission
The following items are required in order to complete the applications process:
(NOTE: For your convenience, please save and use the Application Checklist)
- a USC Graduate Application — For step-by-step admission guidelines, visit: gradadm.usc.edu/apply
- $90 application fee
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (To expedite the processing of your application, please send all transcripts directly to our office.) ** USC has begun to accept some forms of e-transcripts. Please check with the institution you attended to see if they provide e-transcripts.
Please note that we accept only e-transcripts provided that they are submitted via the following methods:
- eSCRIP SAFE (Grad)
- eTranscriptCA (CCC)
- Texas Server (Grad)
- University to University
If your school does not provide e-transcripts through one of these methods, you must submit a hard copy of your transcripts.
- official copy of test scores from the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT).(Note: When registering for the GRE or GMAT, applicants should use the following institution codes: GRE 4852 or GMAT 389-CL-68)
- a completed USC Price Supplemental Form (complete through the Graduate On-line Application)
- a current resume
- three letters of recommendation, including at least one academic reference. Please note: Letters of recommendation must be submitted through the online application system. We will not accept letters of recommendation through postal mail.
- a statement of purpose of approximately 750-1,500 words addressing the following questions:
- What are your expectations of the graduate planning program at USC?
- How will the program prepare you intellectually and practically to succeed in your chosen professional activities?
- What personal, professional and educational experiences have prepared you to succeed at USC?
- A completed USC Price Scholarship Application Essays (If you wish to be considered for USC Price sponsored scholarships, complete Scholarship Application Essays through USC Price Supplemental Form on-line)
- official TOEFL/IELTS scores – Official scores must be received directly from the testing service and date no earlier than 2 years (24 months) prior to the start of your intended first term at USC. (Institution code: 4852)
- official transcripts indicating the award of all degrees with the title and date conferred in the applicant’s native language and an exact translation into English of each document
- a financial guarantee statement showing proof of the ability to pay all tuition and living expenses
- To verify application requirements by country, please visit: http://gradadm.usc.edu/faqs/international-students-faqs/preparing-to-apply/
December 15 (scholarship deadline)
May 1 (international applicant final deadline)
July 1 (domestic applicant final deadline)
How to Apply
Online: Candidates may apply through USC’s graduate online application system at https://usc.liaisoncas.com. The online system allows you to electronically submit the entire application including USC Price supporting documents — except for official transcripts and a copy of test scores, which should be sent directly to USC Price at the mailing address below.
USC Price Recruitment and Admissions
650 Childs Way, RGL 111
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0626
Tel: (213) 740-0550
Fax: (213) 740-7573
MPL Program Webinar
Watch a recording of a recent web information session, and learn more about the MPL program: