Unite For Veterans
Presented by United Way of Greater Los Angeles, USC Price School of Public Policy, Federal Reserve Bank, and City of Los Angeles
USC Provost Elizabeth Garrett and Professor Raphael Bostic will participate in the upcoming Unite for Veterans summit, which will bring together key business and civic leaders, agencies and community stakeholders to highlight the scalable best practices in employment, housing and other human services to provide veterans with a fulfilling life after military service. Keynote address by Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti.
July 16, 2014
7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Hyatt Regency Century Plaza
2025 Avenue of the Stars
Los Angeles, CA 90067
7:30 – 8:15 a.m.
Registration and Continental Breakfast
8:30 – 9:15 a.m.
Welcome and Opening
Keynote Address: The Honorable Eric Garcetti, Mayor of the City of Los Angeles
9:15 – 10:15 a.m.
Opening Plenary: The Way Forward: Opportunities to Support Veterans Returning to Los Angeles
This panel of experts will discuss the compendium of social, environmental, housing and employment needs of veterans returning to the Los Angeles area and will speak to a variety of veterans initiatives designed to create meaningful pathways for veteran reintegration into civilian life.
10:15 – 10:30 a.m.
10:35 a.m. – Noon
Concurrent Breakout Sessions: Best Practices, Innovations, and Interventions
- Best Practices in Employing and Retaining Veterans: Challenges and Opportunities on the Road to Veteran Prosperity — This panel will include a range of small to large businesses in discussion of veteran hiring and retention practices leading to successful careers. Panelists will explore why hire a Veteran, how to hire a Veteran and how to retain a veteran
- Veterans Employment Readiness and Innovation: Entrepreneurship, Vocational Training and Mentorship — This panel will high light best practice programs for guiding veterans toward entrepreneurship, vocational trainings and mentorship. Panelists will discuss how to prepare a veteran
for successful mentorships and leadership roles in emerging businesses.
- Employment Intervention and Access: Tying Employment Services to Veterans Housing — This panel will discuss the intersection of employment services and sustainable, affordable housing for veterans and their families and will highlight the alignment of resources and networks available to ensure the stability of veteran families through wrap around job training and placement.
12:15 – 12:45 p.m.
12:45 – 1:00 p.m.
1:00 – 1:45
Keynote Address / TBD
1:45 – 2:00
- Brett Bittel, Vice President/General Manager, Southern California Enterprise Holdings
- Carmen Moch, Group Vice President, Target
- Christine Marge, Home For Good, United Way of Greater Los Angeles
- Dan Goldenberg, Executive Director, Call of Duty Endowment
- Elise Buik, President & CEO, United Way of Greater Los Angeles
- Elizabeth Garrett, USC Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Honorable Eric Garcetti, Mayor for the City of Los Angeles
- Jim Brown, California Market President, Humana
- Dr. Jonathan Sherin, Executive Vice President, Chief Medical Officer, Volunteers of America Los Angeles
- Ken Harbaugh, Chief Operations Officer, Team Rubicon
- Maria Elena Durazo, Executive Secretary-Treasurer, Los Angeles County Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO
- Patrick Rodriguez, Public Information Officer and Economic Development Specialist, US Small Business Administration
- Raphael Bostic, Director, Bedrosian Center on Governance, USC Price School of Public Policy
- Stephen Peck, President and CEO, U.S. Vets
- Va Lecia Adams, Executive Director, St. Joseph’s Center