Certificate in Transportation Systems
The Certificate in Transportation Systems is an interdisciplinary program administered by the Department of Civil Engineering. The certificate program allows students to specialize in transportation applications, while simultaneously receiving a degree in their home department. The certificate combines elements of transportation engineering with transportation policy, planning and project management. The program is especially appropriate for students intending to pursue careers as developers of transportation technologies or as implementors of technologies within government agencies.
- Engineering Economy (ISE 460 or equivalent)
- Principles of Microeconomics (ECON 203 or equivalent)
- Course in high level programming language, such as C or Fortran
In addition, students select one of the following:
- Risk Analysis in Civil Engineering (CE 408 or equivalent)
- Engineering Statistics (ISE 225 or equivalent)
- Statistics for Policy, Planning, and Development (PPD 404x or equivalent)
These prerequisites may be satisfied after enrollment in the certificate program by taking the indicated courses or their equivalent. Graduate students cannot receive credit for courses numbered below 400. Detailed admissions requirements are published by the Department of Civil Engineering.
- Transportation Engineering (CE 519)
- Traffic Engineering and Control (CE 585)
- Engineering Project Management (ISE 515)
- Urban Transportation Planning and Management (PPD 633)
- Institutional and Policy Issues in Transportation (PPD 634)
Admission Requirements and Application Procedures
Applicants for the Certificate in Transportation Systems who are currently enrolled in a graduate program at USC and are in good standing with a 3.0 GPA only need to submit the appropriate paperwork for adding the certificate program, which may be obtained from the program administrator.
Applicants for the Certificate in Transportation Systems who have not matriculated at USC must make a formal application for admission to the certificate program, provide transcripts of all college work, a resume and one letter of recommendation.
Please contact the USC Price Office of Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Applicants for the Certificate in Transportation Systems who are currently enrolled in a graduate program at USC who are in good standing only need to submit the University’s Change of Major form. This form may be obtained from Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Kaprielian Hall Room 210, email@example.com.
Applicants for the Certificate in Transportation Systems who have not matriculated at USC must make a formal application for admission to the certificate program and must submit the following items.
- a completed USC Graduate Application (may be completed on-line)
- $85 application fee
- official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- a current resume
- a letter of recommendation, including at least one academic reference
- a written statement
International students must also submit the following documents:
- official TOEFL scores
- official transcripts indicating the award of all degrees with the title and date conferred in the applicant’s native language and an exact translation into English of each document
- a financial guarantee statement showing proof of the ability to pay all tuition and living expenses
For additional information please contact:
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
University of Southern California
3620 South Vermont Avenue
Kaprielian Hall 210
Los Angeles, CA 90089-2531
Tel: (213) 740-0603
Fax: (213) 744-1426
For certificate programs that meet federal Title IV eligibility, USC is required by the U.S. Department of Education to disclose certain Gainful Employment (GE) information. The following Gainful Employment Disclosure Template link provides information regarding related jobs, cost, loan debt and completion rate for the program: