Master of Nonprofit Leadership and Management
Beginning Summer 2015, the USC Price School of Public Policy will welcome its first class in the Master of Nonprofit Leadership and Management (MNLM). The program is designed both for those with several years of work experience in the nonprofit sector as well as those intending to embark upon careers in this area.
This program is developed in recognition of the increasing importance of philanthropy and the nonprofit sector in governance and public problem solving – from service delivery to advocacy and from community building to social change. The challenges of leadership in the nonprofit sector are fundamentally different due to the complexity of multiple funding sources, the unique legal and regulatory environment, and the range of interactions with government and business. The Price MNLM program will provide depth in the field for those interested in philanthropy, nonprofits, and social innovation.
Unique Features of the MNLM Program
- Positioning of nonprofit activities within the broad cross-sector context for social innovation and change.
- A well-defined understanding of the complexities unique to philanthropy and nonprofit organizations.
- Managerial skills (organizational leadership and management, financial, and fund development) required of philanthropy and nonprofit leaders.
- Analytical skills (program evaluation, economic, and strategy) to make strategic choices and measure performance and outcomes.
- Engagement with high-performing philanthropy and nonprofit organizations partnering with Price students to analyze specific questions or areas of opportunity at their organizations.
- Access to leaders in the field connected to the program through USC’s leadership role in Los Angeles.
- Participation in the research infrastructure, professional connections, and programs available through the Center on Philanthropy and Public Policy and the Sol Price Center for Social Innovation
From the MNLM Director:
Nonprofits play an increasingly critical and unique role in the world, engaging in activities ranging from philanthropy to advocacy to service provision. Our MNLM students are trained to become leaders in the field with the passion to innovate and use their skills to generate real world impact.
Director, Graduate Programs in Nonprofit Leadership and Management