Master of Public Administration
Master of Public Administration (MPA) Program
The Master of Public Administration (MPA) program offers a professional education designed to prepare students for the challenges and opportunities of a career in public management or in related public and private firms. The MPA program at the USC Sol Price School of Public Policy is one of the oldest and most distinguished programs of its kind in the United States. USC Price is rated third overall among public affairs schools nationwide and ranks fourth for the public management/administration specialty, according to U.S. News & World Report. The MPA program is a two year full-time program and a three year part-time program.
Unique Features of the MPA Program
Some of the program’s specific strengths include:
A management, analytical, and policymaking focus that prepares students to pursue their individual interests and concentrate in one of many specialized fields
- A full-time faculty of exceptional diversity and strength
- An active part-time faculty of noted professionals
- A 90-year history of leadership in professional and academic fields
- Paid internship opportunities
- An extensive alumni network
- An advisory board comprising leaders in the public, private, and nonprofit sectors
- MPA Labs – enriching workshops that develop professional skills and knowledge about a broad range of social issues
- A facility in Sacramento – the USC State Capital Center – that gives students the opportunity to gain first-hand knowledge of complex state-local and state-federal relationships
We have 25 core faculty affiliated with the three programs in Los Angeles, Sacramento, and Online. Click here to view a list of Public Administration program faculty.
Modes of Program Delivery
The MPA is offered in three modalities:
- A traditional academic semester in Los Angeles
- A blended program designed for full-time working students in Sacramento at the USC State Capital Center
- Online – The option to complete the entire MPA degree online.
From the Department Chairs:
Public administration is about public service. It’s about running our cities, government agencies and nonprofits. Our goal is to prepare students to be leaders who will solve today’s critical social problems.
Chair, Department of Governance, Management and the Policy Process
Today’s public administration, both at home and abroad, face governance, management, leadership and capacity challenges of immense scale and complexity. At USC Price MPA program, we work collaboratively and creatively on developing and honing the skills and competencies most critical to prepare the next generation of public servants.
Vice Chair, Department of Governance, Management, and the Policy Process