Healthcare administrators are the invisible partners of our healthcare system. They focus on the organization’s health — putting systems in place to keep facilities open and thriving, to ensure the delivery of quality services, and to make it easy for providers and patients to make the right decisions.
LaVonna Lewis, Ph.D.
Teaching Associate Professor
The USC Price MHA is built around a rigorous curriculum that includes in-class and experiential learning. To earn the MHA degree, students must successfully complete a total of 48 units, split between required and elective courses.
Required Core Courses (40 units)
- Intersectoral Leadership (PPD 500)
- Economics for Policy, Planning and Development (PPD 501a)
- Problems and Issues in the Health Field (PPD 509)
- Financial Management of Health Services (PPD 510a)
- Health Information Systems (PPD 511)
- Legal Issues in Health Care Delivery (PPD 513)
- Economic Concepts Applied to Health (PPD 514)
- Strategic Management of Health Organizations (PPD 515)
- Financial Accounting for Health Care Organizations (PPD 516)
- Concepts and Practices in Managing Health Care Organizations (PPD 517)
- Quality of Care Concepts (PPD 518)
- Human Behavior in Public Organizations (PPD 545)
- Modeling and Operations Research (PPD 557)
In addition to the 40 required units, students complete 8 units of electives. Elective courses will be taken in two of the five Specialization areas.
Statistics is the only prerequisite required for the Price Master of Health Administration program. This must be satisfied within the first 12 units. Students may demonstrate proficiency in relevant statistical methods by satisfying the prerequisite in one of two ways:
- Statistics Course Taken Prior to Enrollment in the MHA
Completion of a college-level statistics course with a grade of “B” or better, taken within three years of matriculation in the MHA program
- PPD 502x – Statistical Foundations for Public Management and Policy
If students have not completed a college-level statistics course with a grade of “B” or better within three years of matriculation in the MPA program, they will need to enroll in PPD 502x and receive a grade of “B” or better.
For questions about the MHA curriculum, please contact Program Administrator Liam Gillen at email@example.com.